Watch Video - Results from a U.S. survey on ultrasound probe use and reprocessing among infection preventionists (time 3:50 mins)
The rapid expansion of ultrasound has brought great benefit to patients, however, there are some patient safety challenges to navigate. The spectrum of ultrasound procedures from surface ultrasound, endocavitary scans and ultrasound guided invasive procedures will be explored. Procedural variety, end-users
- U.S. survey reveals pervasive ultrasound use throughout most health care departments.
- Extensive noncompliance with ultrasound probe use and reprocessing guidelines.
- 20% were aware of instances where a probe was used but not correctly reprocessed.
- Respondents highly confident regarding policy and ability to respond to surveyors.
- Discordance between practice and guidelines suggests immediate action needed.